Ystwyth Cycle Club has a great history, which we are discovering and recording – we would love to hear from anyone with further information, photos or memorabilia to help us fill in the gaps email@example.com.
The club jerseys through the years have been photographed and recorded by Kristian Bond, club member and grandson, to original cycle club members Bill and Audrey Rushton: http://ystwythccnews.blogspot.co.uk/2017/03/ystwyth-cc-jerseys-through-years.html#!/2017/03/ystwyth-cc-jerseys-through-years.html
The Ystwyth Cycle Club enjoyed it’s first full year as a club in 1952. It was set up by a group of keen cyclists from Aberystwyth;
Norman Wyman, Ben Wigley, Peter Jones and John Chessam.
They met initially together at Edleson House, Queens Road, Aberystwyth in October 1951 to discuss setting up the club.
More cyclists joined during the club’s first year, including William (Bill) and Audrey Rushton.
The first President was Tom Davies. He owed a cycle shop in Pier Street, Aberystwyth.
In 1953 the club are mentioned in the Cycling (magazine). The club held their first annual dinner where Cllr. W.C. Pryse the mayor spoke in glowing terms of the club’s activities and presented a substantial cheque to the club. The president gave thanks, after which the prizes were awarded by the mayor, the main award going to the club’s best All Rounder William (Bill) Rushton.
The club held it’s first race ‘The Coronation Cup’ in 1953 which was won by Bill Rushton.
In March 1956, Bill Rushton became the secretary with Audrey (his wife) the treasurer.
In 1958, Bill Rushton had a number of wins for the Ystwyth Cycle Club;
Glyn Evans joined the club in 1958.
Mr F.C. Carter was the Chairman for the year.
In the Cycling (magazine) it was reported in 1959 that Bill Rushton retained the Albert Davies Cup Road Race title and also won the Kerry Cup Road Race held near Newtown. Bill was joined in the Kerry Cup Road Race by two other Ystwyth Cycle Club riders, Will Hughes (finishing 20th) and Ian Pryse (finishing 21st).
Ken Evans and Ken Williams joined the club. They raced with Glyn Evans in many races across Wales.
Several new members joined the club over the next couple of years.
The main racing team in the 1960’s were;
Glyn Evans, Ken Evans, Ken Williams, David Taylor and Mike Roberts. Mike also raced on a tricycle as well as a road bike.
Glyn and Ken Evans became the first club’s internationals in 1965 when they were selected for Wales.
The club held it’s first cycling race weekend. On Saturday evening there was the Aberystwyth Kermesse (racing around the streets of Aberystwyth) and on Sunday the 80 mile Tour of Mid Wales. The weekend was held for the next 25 years and was one of the most popular events in Wales.
Discover more club history browsing the fantastic photos in the People’s Collection Wales: https://www.peoplescollection.wales/user/10467/author/10467/sort/date
The views and statements expressed in this newsletter/email/ website do not necessarily reflect the views of British Cycling. British Cycling does not warrant the accuracy, reliability, currency or completeness of those views or statements and does not accept any legal liability whatsoever arising from any reliance on the views, statements and subject matter of the newsletter/e-mail/website. This content may include hyperlinks to other web sites that are not owned or controlled by British Cycling. British Cycling has no control over, and assumes no responsibility for, the content, privacy policies, or practices of any third party websites. All content should adhere to our acceptable usage policy (link to policy). If you believe any content to be inappropriate please report it to firstname.lastname@example.org